Whadayathink of this piano sound?

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 1 15:14:22 MST 2007

>  I also find
> that it doesn't have the Bosendorfer-ish quality I thought I deteceted
> on the tiny laptop speakers, and I can hear the Steinway pedigree, but
> the piano sounding very fresh and lovely and lively.

No, you don't. There's very little in that piano that's still
Steinway.

> The old Steinway B's seem to restore so well.

This one isn't remotely restored - it's heavily redesigned. It
has a new string scale, new bridges, bass separated from the
tenor, with a nine note transition bridge in the low tenor,
new soundboard, with more ribs than the original, fanned and
deeply crowned for support with very low panel compression,
extra rim and belly rail bracing, a big bass cutoff, and a
treble fish. The plate is also modified with vertical hitch
pins, and elimination of both the front and rear tuned
duplexes. That's not Steinway you hear in there, it's my way
and Kent's way. This dog has a different pedigree.

Ron N