Improving the center foot on the Schaff downbearing dial indicator....

Bob Hull hullfam5 at yahoo.com
Sat Dec 1 20:48:39 MST 2007

How about a picture?

Bob Hull

----- Original Message ----
From: Prof. Euphonious Thump <lclgcnp at yahoo.com>
To: Pianotech List <pianotech at ptg.org>
Sent: Saturday, December 1, 2007 4:44:01 PM
Subject: Improving the center foot on the Schaff downbearing dial indicator....

....after becoming very frustrated trying to balance
the ball-bearing tip on the string, I realized that a
flat-head machine screw in the tip, with a drill rod
glued in the slot so it crosses the string
perpendicularly would be more accurate ( and easy to
use ) !
    So I went to the hardware store and looked, and
found a screw the right diameter (.091" ) but, alas,
the threads were different.
    So I went online,and searched for dial indicator
tips, and just bought a set of 22 for only $12.00 (
with 4/48 threads ) on ebay.
    ( From Chicago, ironically )
    One, I suspect, will work better.
    Will report back.