Whadayathink of this piano sound?

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Dec 2 06:05:50 MST 2007

Gary,

Sorry, I didn't express myself properly.

In fact I am "pro" digital recording.  I totally agree with all your
comments regarding wow & flutter, and the challenge of recording piano
sound.

I have an interesting HiFi CD audio recorder. It's a Philips CDR785, which I
don't think they made many of.  Ths unique thing about it is that it has a
quarter-inch tereo jack socket on the front to take a stereo mic (or two
mics via an adaptor) and you can record from an acoustical audio source
straight onto CD.  On subsequent models they removed that feature.  I've
used it to record a piano and song recital and it worked very well.  It's
not, of course, really intended for portable use.

What I was getting at, really, was the *universality of access* of cassette
tape in former times.  I had in mind a musical couple locally, she a singer
and he an accompanist and organist. They had a JVC "ghetto blaster" type
machine for years, which made decent stereo recordings from its built-in
mics.  They could record an accompaniment for a choir member and hand over
the casette, very easily played on any other machine.  And they always
recorded their own recitals.  For myself, for years I carried around a
Philips D6920 Audio-Visual stereo cassette recorder and two mics, and made
some nice recordings at various events.  The next model up was the Sony
Professional Walkman, too expensive for me.

Well, three or four years ago, my friends' JVC packed in, and the belts on
my Philips started to get slack.   At that time - and I know things are
changing now - it was difficult to find any ready replacement to do the
things my friends wanted to do - easily make recordings they could hand
over, etc.  Nor would personnel in audio stores be of much help, for it's
rather a "niche market", making stereo audio recordings from live sources on
the move.

I accept that in the intervening time, things have moved on. MP3 players are
now ubiquitous, and many offer a facility to  record.  In most cases,
however, the use of a PC will be involved at some point, if you want to, for
example, make a copy of an accomplaniment to hand over to a choir member.

Nor do manufacturers seem to want to make it easy to record in stereo from
accoustical sources - it's not what the industry is about - they want you to
buy packaged commercially produced music, not make and record your own!

So, I think what I meant was, things are not QUITE "there yet", in terms of
going into a store and saying "I want to make a recording of the church
choir this week and give copies to some members to let them listen. Sell me
a device to do that, my old cassette machine is bust".  I think a lots of
store personnel would struggle.

I am certainly not one of those, by the way, who say that vinyl is better
than CD!

Best,

David.

David,

'"...but things are not quite "there" yet..."  Are you serious?  Digital
recording is fantastic.  Easy to use portable digital recorders are readily
available.  No previous method of recording can compare with digital
regarding.  Digital recording devastates all the previous methods regarding
fidelity, including wow and flutter, harmonic distortion, noise and dynamic
range, not to mention the economy of storage mediums, random access
capability, ability to edit and modify sound, etc.  Of course, the piano has
historically been one of the best instruments to record as a test of a
recording medium as it has a huge dynamic range and especially the fact that
wow and flutter is very noticeable when recording piano.  A piano's sound is
dead solid when it comes to sustaining a uniform pitch as notes decay, so
any wow or flutter is noticed.  This is unlike woodwinds and bowed
instruments.  There is virtually no wow and flutter with the digital medium.

Interestingly enough, George Martin has said that those who don't like what
they sound like when recorded digitally and want to use analog tape instead,
need to address what it is about their sound that needs to be "fixed" by the
distortion of analog tape.

Gary Fluke
Snohomish, WA