shellac on fallboard rub decal

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Mon Dec 3 12:06:36 MST 2007

At 19:40 +0100 3/12/07, StŽphane Collin wrote:

>I bought a nice fallboard decal...They recommend to spray or brush a
>light coat of varnish or laquer on it, to protect it.
>My project is French polished, and I wondered if I could safely put
>a layer of shellac on the decal.
>Will it stand the alcohol and the slight rubbing ?
>I would prefer not to ruin this expensive decal (the shipping costs
>to Belgium were double the cost of the decal).
>Anyone tried this with luck ?

I always stick on the transfer (Am. decal) at as early a stage as
possible in the French-polishing, that is once I have done the main
cutting down of the first body, done any necessary colouring and
lightly skinned that over.  I then proceed with the bodying up and
easing down until the transfer is perfectly flush with the final
finish.  You will have no problem with the alcohol in any case.

JD