Broken Weber Leg

William R. Monroe pianotech at a440piano.net
Tue Dec 4 23:27:13 MST 2007

Berley,

Do you have the broken pieces?  If so, pretty much what you said before would be my course of action.  I'd check the dry fit, and if the parts mesh pretty well, go with it.  It looks like a good break that will have a lot of fibers that will interlock and clamp well.  However, because of the location, you'll likely have to make some cauls that will allow you to clamp the piece effectively.  Without adequate clamp pressure, the repair is likely to fail.

Once adequate clamping pressure can be achieved, I'd suggest using your favorite wood glue, glue the pieces together and clamp.  Once dry, I'd come in from the backside, drill and glue in dowels on both sides of the screw hole if possible, otherwise, one dowel to the inside of the hole will have to do.

My 2 cents,
William R. Monroe

  Hi again all,
  Here are two photos of the broken leg on my Weber. What would be the best way to repair it?

  Thanks,
  Berley Firmin
  LaCombe, Louisiana