Snap Crackle Pop!

Dave Davis dave at davispiano.com
Wed Dec 5 14:53:18 MST 2007

Hi Michelle,

I find that is pretty common on new asian pianos, and pianos in general that have been exposed to extreme moisture. It's a form of corrosion between the string and agraffe. Something that I find helpful is to lower the pitch just a tad, it'll go "click" then pull it up to where you want it. The down-side of immediately pulling up, is that the tension on the wire between the agraffe and the tuning pin goes up exponentially. On old pianos, the wire will break before it breaks loose from the agraffe/capo bar. You don't have to turn the pin to lower the pitch, just give it a slight twist or gentle flagpole and the string will break loose (I hate using "break" and "string" in the same sentence). Some times you'll get to hear two clicks, if there is a front duplex bar, also.

Hope this helps,
Dave Davis, RPT