Scheduling question

Martin Wisenbaker mbjwisenbaker at juno.com
Wed Dec 5 17:33:11 MST 2007

I don't know if I will be able to answer all of your questions but one
thing I have done is to reserve one week day as my day off to take care
of personal business. My day off is Thursday and I work on Saturday for
the benefit of those customers who cannot be home during the week. I
don't know you so I do not have a perspective of your family situation. A
piano technicians family situation is one key to successful allocation of
time for this and time for that. I am a widower now but my wife was my
executive secretary taking care of all the office work and scheduling for
me while I did all the tuning, repairs and rebuilding. Since she has died
(6 1/2 years ago) I have retired from rebuilding and am still tuning and
doing minor repairs. One has to decide how big he or she wants the
business to be. Do you want only a one person operation or do you want to
have a rebuilding shop with a number of employees? Family members can be
an integral part of your business if you have a family. If not you may
well have to hire persons to help you. When I was rebuilding, my shop
time was early in the mornings between 4 AM and 7 AM. While I was working
in my shop my wife would be up preparing my lunch and breakfast for the
both of us. I would come in at 7 get ready for the day and we had
breakfast at 7:30. I rebuild quite a number of pianos in this context.
You must decide if and how you would do it. By all means attend all PTG
meetings locally, regionally and nationally to sharpen your skills.

If I can be of any further assistance please let me know.

Regards,
Martin Wisenbaker, RPT
Houston, Texas