mismatched bridges=mismatched hammers

John Tonyan tonyanj at hotmail.com
Wed Dec 5 22:16:44 MST 2007

I have worked with a Kawai CA-40M grand for some time and have been unhappy
with the mismatch between the thin sounding bass bridge and the rest of the
tenor/treble bridge.

Today when I saw the piano I added some binder clips to some
bass shanks (1+ grams),
which threw off the mass in the action, but really brought
out the depth that this bass bridge has been missing. Without the clips #26 had
a strike weight of 10.4 grams.

I would really like to address the bridge, which is the real
problem: any thoughts?

Short of that, I was wondering about going with the mismatch
in the action.
It’s a worship and praise church and I think the players
would prefer having the bass.

Thanks all.
John Tonyan