interesting ivory gluing

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Thu Dec 6 22:27:17 MST 2007

On Dec 5, 2007 10:57 PM, John Formsma <formsma at gmail.com> wrote:

> This was a first for me.
>
> Some one had glued this key top 8-10 years ago.  Pictures attached.  The
> owner said the man who did the "repair" was a golf buddy of her husband's
> who "tinkered" with pianos. He must have used some kind of glue that was
> designed to expand and fill gaps. It had attached itself to the neighboring
> keys, causing two keys to go down at once.  It was a soft kind of crusty
> stuff that scraped off fairly easily with a pocket knife.
>
> She said that it expanded this year like you see in the picture.  I can't
> see how that would happen.  Not that it matters at all for perpetuity, but
> is it even possible to have a delayed expansion like this?
>
> --
> JF
>
> www.formsma.blogspot.com

I've never used Gorilla glue, I have used other brands of that type of
glue,polyurethane glue and it was always brown/tan never white just as the
Gorilla glue looks to be in the bottle. The "foam" when dry isn't
particularly soft but will scrape off with a pocket knife ot chisel. I'm
just wondering if we aren't dealing with something else here?
Mike

--
The real trouble with reality is that there's no background music.
Michael Magness
email mike at ifixpianos.com