Scheduling question

Kenneth Jankura kenrpt at earthlink.net
Thu Dec 6 18:15:17 MST 2007

So how the heck do you know on which side of what you are worth you
are on?

Anyway, If you're not doing it already, my best advise would be to
absolutely preschedule 3 or 6 months or a year (or even 2 years) in
advance whenever possible. This gives you the advantage in scheduling
drive time. I am more or less a rural tuner (which means there are
many days I put 70 to 100+ miles on my car).  You get to pick a
direction to go and then you get  a year to fill that day and area
with tunings, however many you can handle.  I don't really cold call
anymore. If I get stuck to fill a slot, it's not too hard to find
someone who was afraid to schedule that far in advance and call them,
and it usually works out.

If you have the shop and the shop work, prescheduling lets you do it
easier. pick your day or two or three for shopwork and then don"t
preschedule tunings on those days, simple as that. Also, let your
customers know that things change and you may call to reschedule if
necessary.

I always struggle over raising my price. There's a fine line between
satisfying your need or greed and pissing off your customers, and we
must walk that line daily, or monthly, or yearly, or however often we
raise our prices.  Being somewhere in the middle is nice. I
occasionally get the raised eyebrow or comment on my (high) price,
and if that is balanced out by the occasional comment "Oh, that's
more than reasonable", I'm cool with that.

Yeah, I'll probably go up in price sometime soon.

As far as knowing what my body can take, well, I've always been a
little behind the curve on that one. Adding that extra tuning now and
then  seems to be ok, it's the horrible pin torque on a new or old
piano that  can ruin my perfectly good (shoulder) day. Like gimme 6
easy regularly tuned grands one day, I'm golden. Next day, first
piano is a horrible new upright with bad high torque and a major
pitch raise, the rest of the day just adds to the damage the first
piano did, well, that is quite a different day. Our days are not
homogeneous. So you roll with it.

Massage therapy rules!!  Schedule it in!!

It's ever changing, ever changing.

Ken Jankura RPT
Newville PA

.