Lack of low frequency response

Stéphane Collin collin.s at skynet.be
Sat Dec 8 23:24:30 MST 2007

Hi Ric.

Methinks you know the answers to your question, and simply try to raise
comments.  Interesting topic, as always.  Not that my contribution here
could be interesting, but here are the usual things that I believe up till
now would favor deeper bass, given here for same purpose (raise comments) :

- taper the soundboard thickness from 12 (! Wow) mm in treble to 5 mm in
bass corner.
- put the bass bridge further away from the rim.
- allow longer back scale.
- reduce number and/or thickness of ribs in the bass side.
- float the soundboard by one or another mean.
- reduce down bearing on the bass bridge.
- use heavier hammers in the bass section
- change the strike point (I found this can do huge changes to both sound
and dynamics, also in the bass section, at the cost maybe of projection)
- reduce strings tension, at the cost of some volume (not sure about this,
but comments welcome)
- put the piano on concrete floor instead of wood
- ... anything else?

Best regards.

Stéphane Collin.

Hmm..... which points in the direction of something not allowing the
soundboard to vibrate ... i.e.  in some sense or another too much
stiffness.

Cheers RicB