rest room with a view

David Boyce David at piano.plus.com
Sun Dec 9 05:22:20 MST 2007

Well,  for all the modern amenities the couple may have lacked, they had at
least made room for that true indicator of a civilised home, a piano!

Best regards,

David.

Many years ago I did some work on a piano belonging to a "hippy couple" (him
a sculptor, her a teacher) who had make their home in a 1860 pug and pine
restored cottage on the side of a hill. This house had no running water or
anything else that we take for granted. They had their shower at night with
water coming from a 4 gallon bucket suspended in a tree! After being there
for several hours I asked if I could use their toilet and was told I had to
make my way to the outdoor loo down the path from the house towards the
creek. On arriving at the outdoor toilet I found it was a horseshoe shaped
enclosure with no roof or door, but facing a magnificent view of the creek
with wild life of all types on the other side. For this performance I chose
to sit rather than stand, taking in the view while pondering the
"supposedly" merits of all the trappings and luxuries this couple chose to
leave out of their lives.

Robin Stevens ARPT
South Australia