mystery solved

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Thu Dec 13 07:03:38 MST 2007

Earlier this year, I posted about a Baldwin K in a high school
choir room that suddenly dropped in pitch through a very
specific part of the scale. At the time, I didn't see any
reason for it, and assumed someone on the premises "had
hammer, will commit".

I saw the piano again this week, and the problem had
progressed enough to be obvious even to me. The treble counter
bearing bars in this piano are made of brass angle, which I
hadn't realized. I'd assumed they were solid, as would seem to
me to be reasonable and rational. But no. As the poor quality
cell phone photo attached shows, one of them has splayed out
and collapsed, drastically dropping the pitch in that specific
area over time as it happened.
I owe the imagined perpetrator with the nonexistent tuning
hammer an apology.

Be careful out there. Nothing is safe.

Ron N