Decal adhesive/Music rack needed

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Fri Dec 14 06:50:05 MST 2007

> My quandary was about what kind of glue would be best in the long run, for
> the life and sound and response of the board.  How much difference will it
> make?

No difference at all that you'll be able to detect.

>Right now, I'm leaning toward the varnish solution for several
> reasons, but I'm really most interested in what matters and why.  (I'm also
> wondering why the decal lifted in the first place and whether the D-C system
> I installed last year could be involved.)

It probably lifted because it was poorly applied in the first
place. The varnish will likely work fine.

> How are the separate pieces of a soundboard adhered to each other?

They're glued - what else?

>What types of finishes are used on soundboards?

Varnish, lacquer, shellac, polyurethane, or about anything
else you can imagine.

> And as for the music rack, I had nice chats with several folks at Baldwin
> yesterday.  The man at the plant in Truman, AK, said he was going to check
> inventory but hasn't called back yet.  Funny thing is, he didn't have a
> picture of that model, either!

They only come in black velvet now, with a hand painted
portrait of a big eyed Elvis in Day-Glow colors.
Ron N