E-mailing reminders

John Formsma formsma at gmail.com
Sun Dec 16 21:05:46 MST 2007

On Dec 16, 2007 7:38 PM, Willem Blees <wimblees at aol.com> wrote:

> Does anyone e-mail tuning reminder notices to customers? What kind of
> results do you get? How do you set up your "system"?

For me it has been mixed.  Mostly poor response.  But it follows the general
trend of customers:  the better ones tend to respond...whatever the method
of contact.

The best way for me to generate tuning income has been to pick up the phone
and call.  I don't like calling, but I do what it takes to get the business
going.  We have to get that mindset.

The second best way has been postcards.  It doesn't get near the response of
phoning, but it is a good reminder.  It's a mass-marketing thing.  You have
these postcards doing the work for you without your having to be on the
phone.  People hang on to those cards for a long time.  They get put on the
fridge or next to the piano.  If for no other reason to mail cards, it keeps
your name in front of them.

If anyone uses software to automatically generate mass emails, I'd love to
hear how it works for you.   I tend to think emails just aren't the best
option for most people.  I wish everyone did email as much as I do, but it's
not that way with many of my customers.

I like the immediate response from phoning.  Emails tend to get buried.  If
you have a good customer (doctors, lawyers, etc.), I think they are more apt
to schedule the appointment by phone rather than email.  I go through the
list of my best customers and call them first.  Usually, 20-30 minutes of
that will generate the work I'm looking for.  Sometimes it takes more time,
though.  Persistence pays off.

--
JF