a ltitle help/off topic

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Tue Dec 18 09:51:44 MST 2007

On Dec 18, 2007 8:51 AM, Paul McCloud <pmc033 at earthlink.net> wrote:

>  Actually, there are studies that show that using a cell phone while
> driving is actually like driving under the influence of alcohol.  In fact,
> the studies showed that you are more impaired than using alcohol.  Even if
> you use a hands-free device.  I have actually missed an exit more than once
> while conversing on the phone.  It's not like you're listening to the
> radio.  Your mind goes somewhere else.  Check out this link:
>
> http://www1.umn.edu/umnnews/Feature_Stories/Cell_phone_use_and_driving.html
>
> Paul McCloud
> San Diego

experience I have. I worked as a professional driver prior to beginning my
career as a piano technician. I also augmented my income in the early days
of my tech career by driving taxicab.
I do not allow other people, things or conversation to detract from my main
job of driving. I watch the road and follow the rules, if the situation
becomes difficult the conversation stops!!
My point in stating that I make calls on the highway with my truck in cruise
is that I do not hold traffic up by slowing down as I talk, I set my speed
and hit the call button on the phone. I'm on a 4-lane interstate freeway so
all I have to do is steer. The problem with this is?????????????????????

My mind does not go "elswhere", I multitask just as I do when I tune, I can
tune and still plan my evening, observe and evaluate the function of the
piano, listen to the conversation from the next room, write an estimate in
my head and still do an excellent  tuning.
My eyes never leave the road, my hands never leave the wheel just as they
don't when I talk to a passenger. As I said I'm a professional driver my
"audience" is right next to me and can hear me just fine, I don't have that
"need" to see the reaction to what I'm saying so my eyes stay on the road
whether I'm on the phone or talking to a passenger.

I would have to question those studies and ask if they included any piano
techs. I have trained myself to concentrate on what I'm doing to the point
that I can do a concert tuning with a migraine headache, the pain stops
while I tune and only returns when I stop! A few years ago I had an inner
ear virus that made me feel as if I were going to faint, the area in front
of me began to spin but then came back to center, started again to spin and
came back to center. When I explained this to my Doc she was flummoxed until
I explained about my concentration powers and the migraine thing then she
was impressed that I was controlling the dizziness and not allowing it to
make me feel faint. Recently I had some bouts of vertigo but learned to
control it and again surprised the doctor when I told him how.
So when I concentrate on the road and talk at the same time, there really is
no danger to others or myself, I won't allow it!

Mike

--
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
email mike at ifixpianos.com