explanation(s), please

Michael Magness IFixPianos at yahoo.com
Fri Dec 21 09:31:22 MST 2007

On Dec 21, 2007 9:29 AM, Annie Grieshop <annie at allthingspiano.com> wrote:

> A small Brambach grand did something yesterday that has left me
> bamboozled.
> I'd appreciate any information, suggestions, advice....
>
> When I got there, the piano was surprisingly well in tune, considering its
> overall condition.  Two trichords in the 6th octave (below the break) were
> playing chords, but the rest was pretty OK.
>
> I pulled one of the offending notes into tune, and almost immediately one
> string went "BANG" and dropped pitch, taking the other with it.  I pulled
> it
> back up -- no, it had not broken -- and then both of them did the same
> thing
> (big BANG, very flat).  I've had that happen after treating pins with CA
> glue, but never before, and I hadn't treated any of them at that point.
>  (I
> did later, but it didn't have much effect.)
>
> Here's the part that really confuses me:  after that happened, one string
> of
> a 2nd octave bichord went terribly flat on its own AND a cluster of four
> trichords just above the break in the 6th octave also spontaneously went
> horribly awry.  I had not touched any of them.........
>
> The plate does not appear to be cracked, and I didn't find anything else
> that looked particularly suspicious.  What am I missing here (other than
> the
> chance to call the trash collectors and get the thing hauled away)?
>  Thanks!
>
> Annie Grieshop

Hi Annie,
I'll assume you looked very carefully for gremlins? <g> Were the plate
perimeter screws all down tight?
How about the pinblock screws? Speaking of which could you get a look at it?
How did it look?
It IS a Brambach so having it hauled could be viewed as a mercy judgement
call! <grin>
Mike

--
People who say it can't be done, should not interrupt those of us who are
doing it.
email mike at ifixpianos.com