explanation(s), please

Willem Blees wimblees at aol.com
Fri Dec 21 10:21:55 MST 2007

Annie

On the?offending strings/pins, did the strings go way flat, or did the pins turn? If the pins turned, then the block is shot. Just because the pins might feel tight, doesn't mean the block is bad. And just the smallest movement will cause them to go south.

If the pins stayed, but the string went flat, then you have a plate problem. One way to see if the plate is cracked is to measure the blow distance. Check blow distance of note 88, and compare it with the one of the notes in the 6th octave. Assuming the hammer line is level, if the plate is cracked, and the middle is pushing up, then the blow distance will be greater.

On an old piano like this, advice the customer that this is a serious problem, and the piano needs to be removed, ASAP, because it could explode, and cause a great deal of damage and injury if anyone is close to the piano.

Willem (Wim) Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
Honolulu, HI
Author of