baldwin agraffe

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Dec 23 13:26:06 MST 2007

> I am re-stringing a Baldwin baby grand of the 1974 era  vintage.  While
> measuring the agraffe hole spacing, it appears that all the 2 hole
> agraffe's in the bass section are the " wide " spacing style ( all 20 of
> them ).  Is this normal ??  I was under the impression that " wide"
> agraffe's were only used on a few of the larger core wire bicords??
> Can someone educate me on this subject?

I don't think there are any rules. You'll find what you find.
Installing new, I use the wide at the first bichord, and
switch to the narrow when the gap between strings with the
narrow agraffe becomes wider than the gap in the lowest
bichord with the wide one. In other words, when the overall
string diameter+the difference in spread between the wide and
narrow bichord agraffe becomes greater than the diameter of
the lowest bichord string, I'll make the switch there.
Ron N