plates, flying and otherwise

John Ross jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca
Sun Dec 23 18:26:37 MST 2007

I had one break on me in the 70's, when I was starting out.
There was a piano, that was away down in pitch, and when I tried to bring it
up, the strings broke.
I decided to restring.
When I replaced the strings, and was bringing it up to pitch, it kept on
dropping back, more than I thought it should.
Then there was a bang, and the top of the piano came forward 5-6". My heart
almost jumped out my chest.
Now, when I find a piano away down in pitch, I pull the top board and check.
You sometimes have to pry the top off.
Another indication of a separated pinblock, is when the dampers barely, or
don't come off the strings.
One tuner told me a piece of the plate, went through his pant leg, when a
plate broke on him. These by the way were uprights.
John M. Ross
Windsor, Nova Scotia, Canada
jrpiano at win.eastlink.ca