Source for spring stock?

Floyd Gadd fgadd at mts.net
Sun Dec 23 19:09:08 MST 2007

>Considering the LABOR involved in accomplishing the necessary repairs, is
it a special instrument?
>Does it have particularly wonderful characteristics? It may be that she/he
should consider a trade-in
>to a rebuilder-retailer for another instrument. On the other hand, if the
owner is loaded ($) and is in
>love with it, or has personal emotional worth, Your best best may be
finding a source for spring stock
>(I suspect the right diameter of piano wire will work just fine) and get
one of the spring making tools
>from Schaff or other purveyors. LORENZO LACOVARA
This instrument has been in the family for 3 generations (coming four!) and
was brought over from England
when the husband's family emigrated just a few years ago.  The wife's family
have been my friends for many
years, and have shown much kindness and generosity to me.  I am just
completing a major reconditioning of
another upright action, so am completely aware of the labor involved.  The
husband is skilled with his hands,
and may well end up contributing some "sweat equity".  With the confidence
that our working relationship is
one of mutual generosity, I think we'll find an approach to this that works
well for all of us.  But it should be
interesting!
Floyd

Checked by AVG Free Edition.