Oscar Peterson & James Brown

Annie Grieshop annie at allthingspiano.com
Wed Dec 26 11:20:22 MST 2007

Last night, NPR aired a short tribute to James Brown, who died a year ago.
In one of the clips of him talking about his music, he said that he used all
the instruments as part of the rhythm section, regardless of their other,
melodic uses.  (I'm paraphrasing it badly, but it's way obvious in funk,
once you listen for it.)

Thinking about that and then listening to Oscar Peterson, I was again struck
by how many kinds of instrumentation are available from a piano.

Personally, I think great jazz players use the instrument's potential more
fully than others do, although improvisation and the ways jazz groups work
together has something to do with that.  And the YouTube video of Mr.
Peterson was a wonderful example of how to do all that.  Thanks so much for
the link!

Duaine, you're missing the point.  And being rude, too.

Annie Grieshop