tuning instability on new Baldwin SD10

Paul Mulik tubist at swbell.net
Thu Dec 27 07:01:04 MST 2007

Hello list,

One month ago my church bought a new Baldwin SD10.  I installed a DC the day after it was delivered (2 tanks, 3 rods), tuned it a few days later, and tuned it again a couple of weeks after that.

I'm having trouble with a few of the unisons in the fifth octave, there are 3 or 4 strings that just will not stay in tune.  I keep retuning them and they sound fine for a while,  but then a few days later they'll be 20 cents flat.  The tuning pins do not feel loose, and I've tuned other large grands with no difficulties, so I don't think the problem lies in my tuning technique (though I could be wrong -- wouldn't be the first time!)  I have not tried driving the pins further into the pinblock; it seems to me this shouldn't be necessary on a new piano, but again, I could be wrong.

Any suggestions?

Paul Mulik
Joplin, MO