tuning instability on new Baldwin SD10

Don Mannino donmannino at ca.rr.com
Thu Dec 27 07:31:47 MST 2007

Paul,

- Inspect the hitch pin area very carefully, in case the roll pin is not driven in far enough.
- Inspect the bridge pins very carefully, and look for issues with the bridge top or pins, elongation of the pin holes, etc.
- Check the string coils on the tuning pins, and look for a string pulling out of the pin because the becket length is too short.
- I haven't looked at a new SD-10 in a long time to see if the design of the termination bars has changed, but check carefully around the capo for something which might allow the strings to dig in.  Or, look for an agraffe that is cracked and is lifting (if it is it in agraffes area - I think the 5th octave spans the treble break).

20c drop repeatedly indicates a problem, but if that was only one time and the other re-tunes have only been small changes of a few cents, then do some light string seating work (bridge, counter-bearings, etc).  Also, seat the string coils on the tuning pins to be sure they aren't too high or too low.

Don't drive the tuning pins down unless the pins are obviously loose.

Good luck!

Don Mannino