Oscar Peterson

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Dec 27 08:18:06 MST 2007

Duaine:

Holy Christmas guy.... If you think Petersons playing is a bit wild...
you are about 35 years out of date.  Your post is comparable to saying
something like Monet's paintings are impossible to understand... I mean
really... so much has gone by since then.   When you top it off by
dumping on one of the worlds greatest musical talents ever by
insinuating drug use... you disgrace yourself.

About the only even close to valid criticism I ever heard about O.P. 's
playing what that it was too much <<lick>> based.  Indeed... he did use
a lot of so practiced in licks in his playing that movement from one to
the other would be seamless... but anyone listening closely to his
playing would be foolish indeed to say he was incapable of "Bop".  His
trio with Nils Henning Ørsted Peterson and  Joe Pass remains to this day
as some of the finest Jazz regardless of period ever performed.  For
that matter some of the finest music period.

I wouldnt go so far in condemning your post as some.... nor ask you to
leave the list.   Tho... if I were you I'd drop back, punt... and
perhaps humble yourself.  You have stated nothing at all of worth about
Oscar Peterson... and revealed quite a bit about yourself here...

Sigh...

RicB

    From:  Duaine Hechler

     I listened to this all the way through.

     I never could get used to this form of jazz because WHERE THE HELL
     IS THE MELODY ?

     I really don't play BUT I could probably come up with something
     like he is doing!

     No offense to anyone who likes this form of jazz but being my
     teenage years was the 60's and 70's, this sounds like something
     composed on cocaine or pot.