Sohmer Soundboard Replacement; Was: Re-Post

Farrell mfarrel2 at tampabay.rr.com
Sat Dec 29 06:43:41 MST 2007

Hello Lorenzo,

Welcome to the list. Perhaps there are a couple reasons for lack of response to your question. First, there are only a few folks on the list experienced with soundboard replacement - and far fewer with Shower soundboard replacement. Second is that little is known about the original board construction and how it sounded - yes, you can "copy" the original board, but how much compression was put in the original and how did that sound?

I am certainly biased with the results from a Del-Fandrich redesigned piano belly, but my recommendation is that if the piano is worth putting a new belly in it, then have Del redesign the belly or have Del Fandrich, Ron Nossaman (Ron can also do the design if he is installing) or myself put a new belly in it for you - or I could build a set of Del-designed components for you and you install it yourself.

If you own the piano and are rebuilding it to sell for profit, then IMHO, clean it up, make it look pretty and just sell it. If the objective is to make the piano a fine musical instrument, then IMHO, at best, it would be a roll of the dice if you drop in a "original copy replacement"-type soundboard. If you install a Del-type rib crowned and supported soundboard belly assembly, the results can be very predictably fabulous.

Hope this helps.

Terry Farrell
Farrell Piano
www.farrellpiano.com