Re-Post

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 29 10:10:10 MST 2007

> I am need an opinion from those who have ever put a new board into a
> Sohmer grand (6'4"  "scale # 9") ...mine is vintage 1923.

I've never put a board into a Sohmer, but the same principals
apply to any modern piano. Is it worth doing? That depends on
what you do and what comes of it. Throwing in a nominal
reproduction of the original will get you something that may
or may not sound better than the original, depending on how
the replacement is built and installed. The string scale,
also, can almost certainly be improved while you're at it. On
the other hand, redesigning the thing will produce something
that a number of people would agree sounds better than
original, with much better odds of predicting the result.

So yea, it depends.
Ron N