Mason and Hamlin A, circa 1909: What to do with loose tuning pinsinbass...

mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net mccleskey112 at bellsouth.net
Sat Dec 29 10:51:36 MST 2007

Hello and Happy New Year to All

I don't know if my way of replacing random tuning pins is any better than anyone elses, but I will share it with you anyway.

First back the pin out enough to remove the becket from the pin hole using a smell screw driver and needle noses pliers. Then back the pin out the rest of the way. Put your new pin inside the coils of the string and then start it in the tuning pin hole. Turn it down until it is about 1 and 1/2 turns above being level with the rest of the pins. Put the becket back in the hole and turn it down until the coil is tight. Level the coils and tune and you are done.
Removing and replacing the becket is a little trickey on heavy bass strings but I very seldom break a becket.

Gerald McCleskey
Shreveport, LA