Re-Post .. building pianos

Richard Brekne ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Dec 29 12:19:08 MST 2007

Got to thinking about this basic request and some of the replies coming
in.  And thought I'd drop the following thoughts out there. To begin
with I'd have to say to our friend Lorenzo that there are several bits
that make investing 2-3 grand worth while... and several bits that speak
against it.  On the down side... chances are you'll have a hard time
making much of a profit... tho you never know until you know as it
were.  On the up side...  the discussion gets complicated (and
inseresting) real quick.

I'd start by saying that a successful soundboard replacement, just like
a successful tuning is perhaps best judged by to what degree you
accomplished what you set out to do.  That statement in no small degree
implies a large degree of knowledge and understanding of exactly what
you are trying to accomplish.  And that can be a lot of things.... it
can be very specific acoustic goals, or it can be a matter of wanting to
learn more about a thing or process.  In the world of Soundboard
making... even specific acoustic goals can take wildly variant courses.
Some are after a very clearly defined sound... others are after a
clearly defined field of sound variances.  Goals vary even within
similar goals. I suspect that even the most well contrived system will
require tweaking to a degree that asserts the implied reality in the
later.  That reality being that there is no <<one sound>>... or even
better sound. There is only what any given individual likes at any given
time. The only other criteria I know of that is worth its salt is what a
statistical analysis of thousands of pianists and/or listeners tend to
go for.  Both are full of intangibles that in the end boil down to a
substantial handful of magic no matter which way you turn it.

I gave up a good while back thinking along the lines that this or the
other type of piano sound is to be preferred over the other.  The cold
harsh fact is that tho the piano world has chosen the Steinway sound as
standard by which all others are set for the past 100 years or so... the
variance factor of keyboard lovers out there is so enormously large that
even that standard becomes of only limited value at best. Witness
Stéphans post of just a few days ago. There are many many many pianists
out there that just love that kind of sound field.  I run into it all
the time... this piano or that piano that I personally think is junk is
simply adored by its owner or some pianist or another.  Or take my
recent experience with the Grieg S&S B.  At a lower pitch the thing
simply opened up and sang like a Nightingale (to my ears).  Others found
the lower pitch itself to be a problem... the instrument was simply out
of tune to them... still others found the quality of sound that changed
to be anything but desirable. Some of these probably because the
instrument SHOULD sound old and harsh.. because well.. its old.  Others
because perhaps they are used to the thing the way it was and any change
is a problem for them... otherse perhaps just because it did not suit
their taste.

Which leads into a whole wasp nest of observation we can make about
piano sound in general. Some designers make a very large point out of
sustain time in the upper treble region... from just below the so called
killer octave through it and on upwards there seems to be this
inexplicable compulsion to create as long as a sustain time as one can.
Anything even hinting at being short and percussive is viewed by these
as a negative.  Yet back to our world of variant piano sound lovers...
it turns out that there is this absolutely huge bulk of pianists that
actually love that exact kind of sound.

So... I'd say if your interested in rebuilding the Sohmer.... do it.
Learn from it.... dont just copy whats there and hope for the best...
try and figure out what was done and why... and decide if you want to go
in that same direction or try and make a couple turns to the left or
right... or whether or not you want to do a complete turn around.
Strikes me that no matter how good you get at this.... in the end you do
it because of the love of the instrument... not because you expect to
get rich and famous.  If you DO get rich... well I suppose thats a
possible cool thing... I'm less sure about the famous bit :)

Cheers
RicB