Being called out on stage

Robin Stevens pianobee at bigpond.com
Sat Dec 29 14:41:43 MST 2007

Many years ago when Peter Nero came to my city (Adelaide, South Australia) I
and two of my friends decided to see Peter who was very popular at that
time. On arriving at the hall we sat in the back row of the packed hall and
waited for the concert to start. A manager walked out onto the stage and
asked...Is there a piano tuner in the house!! My two friends who, liked me,
were well primed from the pre concert meal and drinks immediately jumped to
their feet and pointed to me! Could I come up and see Peter, was the
question? On going to the front of the hall, (to a arousing applause from
the audience) I went back stage and met a very nervous Peter Nero who
informed me the Steinway D's sustain pedal did not work! Could I have a
look? My tools were miles away so I thought I would access the problem first
and go from there. On going out onto the stage (to another arousing round of
applause) I dropped to the floor on my back and noticed that the adjustment
rod had half an inch travel before even engaging the dampers. When I tried
to adjust the rod with my fingers I found the locking nut was beyond undoing
with fingers! Going back stage again I asked the awaiting group if anyone
had a adjustable spanner?...no such luck...my brain was going into a spin as
to what to do next when I noticed some cardboard boxes in the corner.
Tearing off a large piece I folded into what I thought was right for the
space that had to be filled. Back on stage again (to another round of
applause) the packing spacer was spot on ;-))

Peter came onto the stage and started playing as if nothing had every
happened.

 In hindsight the town hall in those days used to hire a piano from the
local Steinway dealer. None of their tuners were actually piano players and
I assume whoever tuned it never sat and played a short piece after the
tuning which would have indicated the pedal problem!!
The question that might need to be asked...do non playing tuners have a
check list they go through, rather than playing a small tune?
Have a prosperous new year
Robin Stevens ARPT
South Australia