Being called out on stage

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Mon Dec 31 08:34:05 MST 2007

LIst,

About 15 years ago in Boston (Cambridge, actually - Pickman Hall at
the Longy School) I was asked to tune for Igor Kipnis - who through
his career performed on just about every type of keyboard instrument
in existence. On this particular tour he was performing a repertoire
of Beethoven's contemporaries (Daniel Steibelt, Jan Ladislav Dussek
and such) on a 1795 5-octave Graebner Viennese action fortepiano
(restored original with check rail added).

I was contracted to tune at intermission (unavoidable with those
instruments) and when I came up on stage, I found a dead note.-
Kipnis got a bit overenthusiastic at some point. He pointed it out
and gave me his spare parts kit - he was smart enough to travel with
one. So I had to pull the action in front of a full house (quite
tricky with a Viennese action) and disassemble the check rail in
order to pull out the damaged hammer assembly (he broke off the
"beak" and the simplest thing to do was to just pull out the kapsel
with the hammer - and slip in a spare one). The intermission ended up
being quite long, but the crowd too it in good humor, had a good time
getting to know each other and there was enthusiastic applause at the
end - I don't know if it was for me or for the fact that the
intermission was finally over.

Nothing remarkable - except that the next morning there was a
thorough description of what I did in the Boston Globe review. The
reviewer gave equal billing to the performer, the instrument and the
technician. How often does that happen?

Israel Stein