Ebony finish

Mark Potter bases-loaded76 at sbcglobal.net
Mon Dec 31 15:19:31 MST 2007

Gary Fluke <gary.fluke at verizon.net> wrote:            Willem,

  I don’t appreciate your tone and your assumption that I am an idiot with a spray can. <snip>
  I’ve been applying finishes, such as paint, to things for fifty years and will continue to do so.  I made a living in the Surface Finishing industry for thirty years, both in manufacturing and selling the products used.

  Gary -

  Given your stated experience, you MUST know that there are a multitude of ways to make something black?  As you must know, there is never one single product to achieve a desired goal.

  As others have stated, I thought Wim's response was concise, and to the level that your query suggested.  I certainly thought it sounded like someone contemplating painting something black for the very first time.

  This subject is one of those very deep wells, one that a basic email response can in no way make clear.  To expect a single short "answer" to this query suggests a newbie, which I believe is what Wim - in good faith - responded to.

  Back to the point....  it is true that finishes in decent condition CAN be properly scuffed, cleaned and recoated with black.  Finishes that are degrading are another story.  Experience at noting the difference is key.

  This situation requires a great amount of detailed information to properly address, and given your stated experience, it would seem you would be aware of this, eh?  Perhaps you only sold the products, and never used them?  If so, I'm sure we'll be glad to help.

  Mark Potter