Ebony finish

bunkyaol bunkypiano at aol.com
Mon Dec 31 18:29:48 MST 2007

   I'm not sure I want to step into this ring save to say that an ebony finish is the most difficult one for me, the most time consuming of them all.  One tip you may appreciate though is this; instead of spending hours and hours filling the grain before primer, do your best and rub crosswise and fill as best you can.  When dry, use a polyester primer instead of lacquer, it will go on at 8-15 mils thick and will save you countless hours on prep and you can spend more time on the finish, which you will.  Whether you use waterbase of which I have no experience, or lacquer, which is what I use, or enamel, which I have used also, you WILL SPEND A GREAT DEAL OF TIME AND ELBOW ON AN EBONY PIANO.  I have used black polyesther but my filtration system is not geared for that, and was difficult to finish as well.  You may want to look into polyesther and electro-static before you begin.
  Good Luck
  Tom Mc Nabb