Weber upright from 1884.

Martin Wisenbaker mbjwisenbaker at juno.com
Mon Dec 31 19:35:39 MST 2007

I raised the pitch this afternoon on this 1884 New York Weber upright to
A-435 and still 3 strings broke.(It still has its original strings). I
spliced them back on. The lady bought it at an auction for her 8 year old
son to practice on. I advised her and her husband to not let their son
practice on this piano. It could ruin his sense of pitch. The piano has
only a partial plate coming up only to the bottom of the pin block.
Question: if it were restrung what is the feasibility that it could be
tuned to A-440? The pin block has some large bolts going in at the top
but they don't go all the way through to the back side. The overall
design resembles a German birdcage but it is not that. It is overstrung
with underdampers like modern pianos. But the action comes out like a
birdcage piano. Any thoughts and opinions appreciated.

Martin Wisenbaker, RPT
Houston, Texas