Ethics again

David Chadwick chadwick61 at cox.net
Mon Jan 1 09:06:57 MST 2007

Tom,
I have dealt with this situation many times. The local dealer will have a
sale where the piano's are selling as fast as they are uncrated, especially
the median priced/quality brands. The dealer explains the unprepped
situation to the customer and a coupon for the work is issued. I
approximately spend about 3 to 4 hours in the home on the glaring issues
first followed with fine adjustments to touch and tone. The dealer pays me
slightly more for the in-home service as compared with my dealer floor cost
and the clients are overjoyed to see the work performed in their living
rooms. Occasionally I have the problems where repinning is required on more
than just a few flanges in which case I will inform the owner that the
factory has to authorize the time so I can get paid. When asked by the owner
why I will give a straight answer and that might relate to environmental
changes have played a part or that the close tolerances and maybe lack of
Q/C might be the cause. I notify the dealer of this and usually can get
factory compliance without any problem as long as my cost to them is within
their budget. If the piano has a cracked soundboard such as in the Samick
Kohler & Campbell's had in a production series I will show the customer the
problem, contact the dealer to the manufacturing defect so they can handle
the situation. It's not rocket science! (my apologizes to the rocket
scientists) I'm professional about my performance yet aware that I'm also an
ambassador for the dealer which keeps me in business. On Steinways and other
high end instruments there is never a "just tune it" service call post
delivery and I have an agreement with the dealer that these customers
require a higher level of attention if concerns are voiced by the client or
myself.

If it was me with the loose tuning pin problem I would handle it
similarly...... express my concern to the client, notify the dealer of the
situation, do a follow-up appointment to measure the pin torque so I can
give the manufacture hard numbers to swallow and wait for the responsible
parties to authorize my services. Both the dealer and manufacturer want to
keep the piano in the home and will usually go the extra to do so.

Thanks for letting me ramble
David C