Bridge pins revisited /Bluthner project

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Thu Jan 4 01:13:01 MST 2007

Hi Terry..

Yes it does look good, and its going to be beautiful when shellacked.
I'm going to go for a kind of satin sheen to a french polish approach.
You did a great job on your first attempt at a difficult project. I have
to say out loud I am very impressed with your work pard.  You have a
bright future ahead of you in this business I am sure.

As for the bridge.... well.. anything opinions or otherwise about using
solid bridges vs laminates in such an instance is welcome.

The pinblock ? Its solid as a rock... every bit as good a shape as the
bridge was.  Very small pins were originally used.  6.2 mm I believe I
measured.  I have acquired a set of 6.5's nickel plated.  I see no
reason to change the block... tho I am certainly willing to hear anyones
thoughts on the matter and can (will attempt to) supply any further
information on it desired.

Cheers and thanks for the great job on the board !
RicB

    WOW! That soundboard looks so much better in the piano than on my
    bench! It looks great! A very large smile came to my face when I saw
    that photo.

    I really don't know anything about using beech on a bridge root or
    cap. I know it's pretty hard - that's what Delignit is made from.
    But I don't know how it holds up on bridges.

    What are you going to be doing with the pinblock? Larger pins (tell
    me it's not so!)? Replace entire mortised-into-the-rim block?
    Replace sections? Plug? Just curious.

    Terry Farrell
    Farrell Piano