electronics replacing pianos?

Erwinspiano at aol.com Erwinspiano at aol.com
Thu Jan 4 08:03:35 MST 2007

David
  Awesome post pal.
  20 something years ago WIllis Snyder said in his class "  aim for the high
end". It's been stuck in my head ever since.  In the  our collective futures &
in my Sons future, the high end is getting higher  so we hone our skill set
in all areas.  Dennis said to me last night  as we sat around the camp fire in
the back yard. I see  that you attract that (the high end) by what you give
out.  Smart young  man.
  I told him much would be expected of him.  Now the  challenge for me is to
try to expose him to the type of player & experience  that you describe Dave
so he absorbs more of the intuitive part of our work  & can see how pianists
are connecting to his work  Thanks for the  perpsective
  Dale

Dave  Andersen writes
There is way, way too much pleasure, thrill, and emotion in the  acoustic
experience for it to die. You cannot---and I mean, CANNOT---replace the  total
aural and body experience of being in the near-field sonic bubble of a
fantastic piano.

I have been in some of the finest speaker arrays in the finest studios in
the world, listening to A/B comparisons of the best digital reproductions of
acoustic piano and actual piano, and there's just no contest. No  contest
between digital repro and the real piano recoreded, and no contest  between the
recorded piano and the real thing, standing with your head in the  piano while
it's being played.

That's why the entire pop music business went back acoustic after the
massive machine flirtation beginning in the late 70's thru about  1994...machines
playing music, trying to emulate acoustic sounds, sound and  feel like shit to
your body, to something deep in you.

As machines rise and equal our linear intelligence, in 20-25 years,   and the
carbon-silicon relationship becomes infinitely more complex, I believe  our
ears, our whole beings, will crave and demand these beautiful acoustic,
tactile, woody, body experiences.  I believe a reconfigured, flexible  acoustic
piano industry will thrive for the next 100 years, but that our craft  needs to
take a huge step up, and lead the entire piano business into an open,
transparent, peer-based, respect-based paradigm, where people are told and  come to
expect the truth about pianos and piano service.

I also believe that predicting a grim, dystopian future is easy to do,  but
it casts kind of a pall over things; I'd rather, at this time, look for  the
strengths in our industry, now and up ahead. I'm committed to finding ways  to
foster the love of listening to and feeling the piano, and I think there's  a
bunch of indicators that tell me I have company in that.

That all said, I love the back and forth, Ric, and I'm glad you're  thinking
in challenging, wide-ranging ways, as always.
It's appreciated.

Best,

David Andersen