[Files] Queen Victorias piano?

John Delacour JD at Pianomaker.co.uk
Fri Jan 5 17:50:59 MST 2007

At 9:51 am -0500 4/1/07, Erwinspiano at aol.com wrote:

>It's maker, John Brinsmead & Son from about 1850 in London, had some
>interesting ideas about sound boards. It's straight strung with the
>grain orientation running an odd direction to the bridge. The rib
>layout is rather conventional with interesting  rib connecting
>device.  Also not shown  on the top side of board in the bass corner
>is  the sound board cutoff, but floating & held down in some kind of
>attempt to allow for screw tension to adjust the crown of the board.

I have an inlaid Brinsmead upright at home with the same arrangement.
I'll post some pictures.  The case also exquisite.

>    The Royal crest used by the Queen is located in the treble side
>of the case where the Modern folks put there decals.  It's being
>researched as to it's authenticity but from what I understand one
>doesn't use the royal crest without permission of the Royals or it's
>.......auff weeth ees Ed.

Brinsmead did have the Royal warrant at the time.  So did Broadwood
and some others.  The monograph on the fall looks like VWR, which is
presumably the initials of the owner, not Victoria W. Regina! Here is
the monograph from a typical old "pillar box"

>...Oddly The plate has a screw stringer type arrangement with the
>pins sticking uot the direction towards the player.  It is reported
>to have been easy to tune....we'll see

I've got another run-of-the-mill vertical from about 1905 with this
arrangement that I bought simply as a curiosity -- it has no musical
virtues.  When I get out to the store I'll take some photos of the
set-up.  Since the parts are presumably the same as used on the grand
and I have no intention of rebuilding the thing, let me know if you
need spares.

JD