Regluing hammer felts continued

Kurt Krizek kurtkrizek at hotmail.com
Fri Jan 5 12:30:42 MST 2007

Dave,

How's business down there these days? My wife is originally from Metarie and we have plans to move back sometime soon. Is there work for another tech?

Kurt

Date: Thu, 4 Jan 2007 21:05:23 -0600To: pianotech at ptg.orgFrom: algiers_piano at bellsouth.netSubject: Re: Regluing hammer felts continued

On 1/4/07, Farrell quoth:

That happens all the time. If they are popping off on both sides, just take the entire hammer felt piece off - it's easier to get the glue in there anyway when they are off.

Just pop them off, accelerator on the core, CA on the felt, put in place on core, one hand with fingers on the hammer felt tip and thumb on the rear core pressing the tip into the core, and the other hand with fingers clamping felt on top and bottom. Hold for a few seconds until CA sets and go to next one.

This is exactly right. It works just fine. I have done this a number of times for folks with no other solution, you may not want to sign your name to it but it'll get you a bunch of equally crappy referels, work is work. Since the storm I have seen so many, especially Baldwin, hammers popping off from weeks in high humidity I just haul around a stash of extra thick glue and the spritzer. You cant work on Bosendorfers every day, at least I cant. Just had a customer move back from Dallas to his Steinway M, after what 16 months with a borrowed spinet. He said in Plano he couldnt get a tuner to come, they all asked what he had and then said "Oh, I dont work on those." Ya'll must be doing well over there! :-)--