hammer aligning tricks

Paul Chick (Earthlink) tune4 at earthlink.net
Sat Jan 6 10:03:45 MST 2007

Subject: hammer aligning tricks

List,
Now that the glue has dried,
a few are slightly off from where (I thought) I put them.
Question: At this point, how can I adjust the few hammers that need better
alignment with the strings? Again, this action has a brass rail. Possibly I
could bend the shanks with heat? Any suggestions/tricks out there?
Thanks,
Ed

You can bend the center pin by tapping on the shoulder of the hammer butt on
the appropriate side.  Choose wisely, makes sure the screws are tight, and
you are tapping when the hammer shank is directly above the center pin. A
VERY small bend will move the hammer a VERY long way. Do not use this method
if you see recent repairs to the brass rail.  Bend the shank.

Paul C