hammer aligning tricks

ed miller edmiller3 at hotmail.com
Sat Jan 6 07:54:14 MST 2007

List,

I just glued in new hammers and shanks into an upright- this action has a
brass raill. During the glueing process I had to do a lot of beveling of the
shanks in order to align them with the strings. Now that the glue has dried,
a few are slightly off from where (I thought) I put them.

Question: At this point, how can I adjust the few hammers that need better
alignment with the strings? Again, this action has a brass rail. Possibly I
could bend the shanks with heat? Any suggestions/tricks out there?

Thanks,
Ed