Pianotech Digest, Vol 1283, Issue 38

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sun Jan 7 16:56:52 MST 2007

> No.  When the whites bottom out on the black FR punchings, they have not
> made it to the 3/8 dip.  I usually set the whites dip first and do the
> blacks.  After the blacks are set  the whites will no longer dip all the
> way down. I'm sure from some of the other post that this is probably a
> problem stemming from not setting key hight in the piano.  I am
> scuedaled to be in the ladys house tomorrow and I can already tell it's
> going to be a long day.

If you're doing the regulation on the bench, and experiencing
the problem while still on the bench, being on the bench isn't
the reason you're having this problem. The problem is in the
setup relationship between the naturals and the sharps.
Regulation is like setting an aural temperament (if anyone
remembers that) in that when it's not working out coming at it
from one direction, try it from any number of different
directions until you find the problem. If the sharps are set
too high, or the keytops have been replaced without planing
the keys down to retain the original overall height, just what
you describe can happen. The overall thickness of the black
keys should be pretty close to 0.5" (12.7mm) more than the
whites. With the naturals leveled at proper height and a sharp
fully depressed, how much sharp is still above the natural? it
should be a couple of millimeters, or about a nickel's
thickness. The depressed natural should then clear the sharp's
front rail punching. Maybe not by much, but it should clear.
Then adjust the center rail punchings of the sharp until the
depressed sharp and the depressed natural next to it put their
respective capstans at the same height. Then check the sharp's
height above the natural. All this will at least tell you in
more detail where the problem is. You'll find there are indeed
plenty of things that will change on you when moving from
bench regulation back into the piano, but I don't think this
is one of them.
Ron N