David Andersen david at davidandersenpianos.com
Tue Jan 9 13:11:50 MST 2007

>> Incidentally, I think a large part of the reason for this is
>> tuners being so willing to accept "freebies". We all leave
>> different "signature" torque and segment tension differences
>> in our tunings. I discovered a long time ago that by moving
>> and re-settling every single string, the resulting tuning is
>> much more stable.
>> Ron N

Amen, amen....I have never understood the idea of a freebie. You put
your lever on every pin, and tune.  Your mind can play amazing tricks
on you: "yup, this is in tune, it's OK,  I'm in a hurry, sounds good,
whatever....."

Craftsmen do quality work---all the way through to the end.  I'm
confessing that, left to my own devices, I'm lazy.
So doing my best on every single tuning is a long-standing habit that
keeps me safe from my own slacker tendencies.
And it's worked out pretty good for me. <g>

David A.