lead wire/downweight, etc.

piannaman at aol.com piannaman at aol.com
Thu Jan 11 08:10:17 MST 2007

I went out to service the aforementioned Seiler yesterday afternoon.  Regulation was in order, weighting was maybe a tad light for some people used to a heavier touch.  The only problems were a portion of the sustain trap lever was chafing against the una corda rod, and a piano that was 20c flat.

Turns out, the son has gotten used to playing the piano over the last couple of weeks.  The previous piano was a brand new Petrof upright, less than 1 year old.  Apparently, playing the grand was a much different sensation for him than playing the upright.  I got my action models out of the trunk and showed mother and son exactly why that is the case.

The teacher is someone I've done a little work for in the past.  He was not on scene, but I told the owner that if he has any questions feel free to call me.  His issues were shallow dip and loose keys.  Downweight was right around 48-50 g; Dip was 10mm, both spec, and the piano performs flawlessly.  There was no excess aftertouch, and that may have been what the teacher was feeling.  Given that he is used to a "B" Steinway, he could be used to something with more dip and substantially heavier touchweight.

I explained these things to the customer, and said that her son should play the piano until the next service call--especially since he's already adapted to it--and changes could be made if necessary, or sooner if she would like.

My take:  when people spend alot of $ on something, they want to be assured that they made a good purchase.  There is not much objective data out there about Seiler pianos, so I think she was a bit nervous.  I told her the truth, held her hand, and she was happy.

Thanks for reading,

Dave Stahl