Key Cover Problem

Joseph Garrett joegarrett at earthlink.net
Mon Jan 15 18:31:02 MST 2007

Alan,
I thought you'd taken care of that situation.<G> The spring you want is on
page 124: Steinway Fall Board Springs, #960. Of course, if you install it,
then you'll have a Steinahahahahahaha!
(I know, lame!:-()
Regards,

Joe Garrett, R.P.T.
Captain of the Tool Police
Squares R I

got a spring from Schaff but don't know how it is installed (where to put
it in the piano, exactly). Would you enlighten me (and anyone lurking on
the list) about this, please.

> Alan Barnard
> Salem, MO
> Joshua 24:15

> From: "Joseph Garrett" <joegarrett at earthlink.net>
> To: pianotech <pianotech at ptg.org>
> Subject: Re: Key Cover Problem
>

> >Alan asked: "I have a music teacher customer with a Yamaha grand that
has a
> >poorly counter-balanced (or some problem) fallboard. It has made several
> >credible attempts to chop hands off young students.
> >
> >It appears to have never had any sort of close-retarding mechanism, let
> >alone a Soft-Close device.
> >
> >Tried Googling up a solution, 'cause I know it's been on the list, but I
> >got endless chains of stuff and no answers (and no hits when I added
> >"site:www.ptg.org" for some reason.)
> >
> >Someone help me out here, please. What's a good fix?
> >
> >Alan,
> >I'd install a  Steinway spring. In case you don't know what that is,
it's a
> >spring about 3-4" long w/a very minor spring bend. It is installed IN the
> >cavity case, in the arc of the travel of the back of the Fallboard. As
the
> >fallboard is opened the spring, (with it's tapered curve), the resistance
> >is increased. If it is installed correctly, when the fall board is in
it's
> >full open position the back of the fallboard will have JUST passed the
top
> >of the spring curve. To close the fallboard, it will take quite a bit of
> >umph to get the fall board to start closing. Difficult to explain, but a
> >simple installation. Just looked it up in the Schaff catalogue. It's
Number