Another Tough Tuning Environment

Kallie Swanepoel kccs at netralink.com
Mon Jan 15 23:26:04 MST 2007

Was it an omnidirectional mic?

Kallie Swanepoel
http://www.kallieswanepoel.co.za
-----Original Message-----
From: pianotech-bounces at ptg.org [mailto:pianotech-bounces at ptg.org] On
Behalf Of Thomas Cole
Sent: 16 January 2007 06:53

Jurgen,

I had the same thought back when I was first doing floor tunings. I
bought a contact mic which I fastened to the soundboard with some kind
of adhesive putty and connected it to amplified headphones.

It turned out to be a bad idea because the soundboard itself acted as a
microphone and picked up all the room noise I was trying to screen out,
so I gave up on it.

Maybe if the mic could be attached to the plate or something less
affected by ambient noise.

Tom Cole

Jurgen Goering wrote:

I met a german tech who spent one night tuning about 10 pianos for the
opening of the Frankfurt Musikmesse. Same scenario. He is an aural
tuner, and a bright one. He had a little contact microphone which he
placed on the soundboard, then ran it through a tiny amp the size of an
iPod, and to earphones from there. It allowed him to tune aurally in an
environment where an ETD is usually a must.
I was thinking of bringing these units onto the market, but up to now it
has just remained one of many projects on the back burner...

Jurgen Goering
Piano Forte Supply
(250) 754-2440
info at pianofortesupply.com