A tenor bridge conversion

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Sun Jan 21 17:52:34 MST 2007

Hi all,

I've just loaded a couple of images onto my webspace which show the
layout for a tenor bridge conversion of a Bechstein model C grand,
and an image of the new tenor bridge in place prior to stringing.

Here is an image link taken at the layout planning stage;

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/bech_c_tenor1.jpg

Here is an image link, taken last Friday which shows the finished
tenor bridge in place, awaiting strings.

http://members.optusnet.com.au/ronovers/bech_c_tenor2.jpg

The original Bechstein C (circ 1953) was one of the most outstanding
examples of a poor scale I've ever measured in a mid sized grand. The
tension dropped down to around 18% at note E20 (the lowest note on
the long bridge). To rectify this problem, a new tenor bridge was
designed from the first original trichord plain note, E20, up to note
D#31. The new lowest plain-strung trichord is at a respectable
tension of 36%. This will transform the model C from one of the worst
crosses in the business, improving it to the point where it is about
equivalent to the cross of a model D Steinway (in terms of percentage
of tension deviation - the lower the deviation the better the tuning
stability). Should have it strung and playing in a couple of weeks.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY
    Grand Piano Manufacturers