A tenor bridge conversion

Ron Overs sec at overspianos.com.au
Mon Jan 22 15:42:49 MST 2007

Hi Stéphane,

Its an interesting question you raise. I often
wonder why they've suffered it for so long also.
I would have ditched it in an instant, but I
don't work in a hierarchical structure, and I
don't have a history to respect. I suspect that a
lot of the problem for a major factory with an
illustrious past is that were they to make major
changes to the design, people would automatically
ask what was wrong with the previous design?
While ever you change nothing, you don't have to
admit that anything is wrong, even if it doesn't
work.

I can just imagine what a warm and fuzzy
reception one might get at the Bechstein factory
if one of the troops went up to Mr Shulz and
complained about some aspect of the design. In
2005 when we exhibited our action on the Gold
Coast, Carl Shulz attended the show. He called by
the booth where our action was being demonstrated
and had a look at the Overs action model. He took
a very brief look at it, threw his eyes skywards
as if to imply, ". . . what an idiot", and walked
on. Yes, I can just imagine how new thinking
would be 'eagerly' encouraged at the Bechstein
camp.

I also believe that for many companies there are
almost traditional points at which the bass
treble sections cross. For example, in the S&S B
the holy grail cross point is E20/F21. This scale
is, compared to the Bechstein C, a better result,
since the B's F21 length is around 147 cm (on the
model C the low break note for the treble was
135.2 cm at note E20). But it still doesn't work
when compared to the option of taking the break
to a higher point.

When pulling S&S Bs down for a rebuild, just to
have a listen I've pulled F21 up to Bfl26. The
tone is very much superior, and the break
percentage is still only at 42%. Of course 42% is
getting moderately high for the tri-chords,
because we'd need to take the bi-chord covers on
the high end of the bass bridge up to around 54%
to balance the Z, but even that's doable.

I believe the reason that the B breaks at F21 is
because that is where the D breaks. It doesn't
work from a musical and tuning stability
perspective, but I'll bet that it does from a
political standpoint.

Ron O.

--
OVERS PIANOS - SYDNEY