Damp chaser

Gregor _ karlkaputt at hotmail.com
Tue Jan 23 08:23:44 MST 2007

>From: Marcel Carey <mcpiano at videotron.ca>

>The main problem I see with these is that they can be empty for a long
>time before they get watered. There is no indication of the water
>content in the tube. I sold 2 in 30 years, and every time I went tuning
>these pianos, the tubes were empty. The customer always said "Oh, this
>is the first time I forget to fill it. I do it every week".
>What I don't say to them is " Yeah Yeah, they all say that".

Unfortunately these are my experiences, too. But I try to educate my
customers. In my hometown the garbage collectors come every two weeks.That´s
what I tell my customers: Every time when the garbage collectors come, fill
that humidifier. But, in truth, that´s what I really think when the customer
owns a spinet: Every time the garbage collectors come, remember your piano
:-)

Here in Middle Europe these cheap humidifiers are powerfull enough to do a
great job, no climate extremes. In a dwelling a typical situation is about
70-80 % in summer and 40-50 % in winter. If the customer has a floor
heating, the situation is more dramatic. But I don´t sell those customers an
old piano, only modern pianos with multiplex pinblocks. Even if they ask for
a beatiful old art nouveau upright I won´t sell one of these to them.

Gregor