bass string markup/Avery

Tom Sivak tvaktvak at sbcglobal.net
Wed Jan 24 07:08:40 MST 2007

Avery <avery1 at houston.rr.com> wrote:
  What about coming back 1-2 times at least to retune the new string?

Avery Todd
  It's funny you bring that up...if the customer is anywhere near my basic territory, I offer to come back and re-tune the string (if it's not mute-able) FOR FREE and I have found that NO ONE ever takes me up on it.  The only provision contingent upon my free return is that we schedule it when I'm in the neighborhood or passing through.  I always say that I'm happy to do that for them, and that it will definitely need to be pulled back up to pitch within a couple of weeks, or less.

  No one has ever taken me up on it.

  They'll call me in a year, after I've sent them a reminder card, and schedule a tuning and just mention, "Oh by the way, there's one note that's, kind of, buzzing."  I'm thinking bad damper, pencil on the strings, cracked soundboard, and when I get there I realize it's the new string which has gone 45 cents flat beating wildly out of tune with it's bichord neighbor.

  There was even one client right here in my home town, not more than 5 or 6 blocks from my home who never called me back to retune the new string, a bichord in the tenor.  Of course, it was on a spinet, so I guess it might be hard to recognize when a tenor string was out...!

  I think that's it, mostly.  Their inability to recognize a unison that is wayyy out, fearing the embarrassment of calling me to retune the new string and find out that the problem is actually that the cannuting valve is no longer connected to the mumbling shaft, or worse still,  that there's nothing wrong at all and they must be just imagining it.

  Of course, my first choice is to mute the new string and avoid the whole issue.

  Tom Sivak
  Chicago